This Non Desi Recipe Is Perfect For Eid This Year
The mouth-watering shepherd’s pie recipes will leave everyone wanting for more.
Every year we spend hours, sometimes days, in deciding what our Eid menu would consist. While we look at cook books after cook books or tune into food channels, we end up making the same old Mutton Korma and Chicken Biryani as our savory items on the menu.
Of course, these traditional desi dishes taste delicious and hold a special place in our tummies. But this year, let’s introduce some non-desi dishes to our table.
We know we are looking towards having a simple Eidul Fitr this year, but that does not mean we cannot get creative.
Here are is a mouth-watering non-desi recipe to make at home for your loved ones:
Ingredients for the potato base:
- Potatoes (2 cups, mashed)
- Butter (2 ounces, unsalted)
- Salt (3/4 tsp)
- Cream (1/4 cup)
- Black pepper (1/4 tsp)
- Egg yolk (1)
For the meat filling:
- Canola oil (2 tbsp)
- Garlic (2 cloves, minced)
- Lamb (1 ½ pounds)
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper (1/2 tsp)
- Onion (1 cup, chopped)
- Carrots (2, peeled and diced)
- All-purpose flour (2 tbsp)
- Tomato paste (2 tsp)
- Chicken broth (1 cup)
- Thyme leaves (1 tsp, chopped)
- Worcestershire sauce (1 tsp)
- Corn kernels (1/2 cup)
- Peas (1/2 cup)
- Add mashed potatoes, cream, salt and paper in a saucepan and cook the mixture until smooth.
- Stir in egg yolk and cook till smooth again.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add oil to a pan on medium heat. Once it shimmers, add onions, garlic and carrots and cook for 3-minutes.
- Then add lamb, salt and pepper to the pan and cook till it turns brown.
- Top the meat with flour and toss to coat. Add rest of the ingredients and bring to boil. Cook till sauce is thickened.
- Pour the lamb mixture evenly on an 11 by 7-inch baking dish and top it with mashed potatoes.
- Place the dish into the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve once warm.